Tuesday, September 20, 2011


Just getting away from home sometimes can be a real battle!!

Thursday night as we were getting ready to go out to the theatre I got a phone call from our bank informed me that someone had tried to access my account and tested it out by trying to withdraw $1 twice.  Consequently my account was frozen and I couldn’t do wages or withdraw money for my trip to Brisbane the next day.  Fortunately Stuart and I have separate accounts and so he gave me his card to bring to Brisbane.   Kylie dropped me off at the airport and I was on my way.

 After sitting in the plane on the tarmac for nearly an hour we were informed that our there was a big possibility our luggage couldn’t be loaded and they would know in another 30 minutes.  We were then informed that it was definite the luggage (which was locked in the pod already) couldn’t be loaded onto the plane due to some glitch with the Mackay airport.  We were allowed to turn phones back on and inform family and friends that we would be late which was ridiculous in my case as Brett had travelled from Ipswich to pick me up and by now was waiting on the road side near the airport with Mia and Eithen for my phone call to say we had landed.  People were given the option of leaving the plane (without their luggage, as they couldn’t retrieve it from the pod) or staying on board and the luggage would follow later in the evening.

Most opted to stay but some got off without their luggage..... Not sure what good it was going to do.

Eventually we got underway and arrived in Brisbane in record time because there was less weight with no luggage I guess.

On landing in Brisbane we were met with ground staff who took our paperwork regarding luggage and they assured us that it would be delivered (even to Ipswich) following a phone call to ascertain a time convenient to us.

Arrived back in Ipswich to go and have a look at a potentially new home for Brett and Katrina and the kids which will give more ease of movement for Eithen and the ability to put in a pool a bit later on.

When my luggage hadn’t arrived by 10am I tried to ring Jetstar to no avail and after 3 other phone calls 2 lasting over an hour on hold with someone telling me how important I am and how they know how busy I am and they don’t want to keep me waiting, and eventually getting 2 foreign persons telling me this office is closed till Monday, I gave up.

Hopefully things will smooth out from now on.

A quick visit to my Orthopaedic surgeon informed me that the right knee replacement that I had 12 months ago is going great but I didn’t need him to tell me that.  His next statement wasn’t so good as I need a knee replacement in the left knee in the not too distance future as well. 

Tuesday I stayed at Michael and Shell’s in order to attend the theatre performance of “In the Mood” by an American Jazz group.

The Show was as great and more than we expected with a stroll down memory lane listening to music by Glen Miller, Hoagy Carmichael, Cole Porter and many more.  3 couples singing and dancing in front of the 13 piece band which included saxophone, clarinet, trombone, trumpet, bugle, piano and drums.

A tribute to the Australian Forces who served beside the Americans in W.W.2 bought the house down with not a dry eye in the house after finishing the segment with a rousing rendition of Waltzing Matilda.

No comments:

Post a Comment